Monday 9 September 2013

Textures of beetroot and duck breast

I followed an interesting recipe for this Pigeon with Beetroot Recipe - Great British Chefs.   I can't get pidgeon here unfortunately.  It's one of my most favourite of meats.  I used to get it until about two years ago and poof it just has disappeared from everywhere.

Duck breast skinless is very similar in my opinion.  So I served half a duck breast per person (cooked skin on, rested then removed skin just before serving).

This is an interesting dish and I liked it but only because I added a good dose of duck jus.  Without that (which is nowhere in the recipe) this simply wouldn't tie in as a dish.  I added a "texture" in the form of dried mandolined beetroot slices which I love as they are sweet crunchy and look like rose petals.  The other change I would make next time is to omit the smoked beetroot.  I like smoked things.  They need to be subtle but the taste can be beautiful.  I smoked the beetroot very mildly, for about 20 minutes.  I could hardly even smell it, just a hint which is the result I was after for my own personal taste.  However in this subtle dish even the slight smoke took over.  I simply don't think it worked here.

Would I make it again?  Yes, without the smoked beetroot and again with a good amount of jus.  The most interesting technique for me was the pear coated in beetroot powder.  I cooked the pear for a couple of minutes so that it got to the point of succulence before coating it and I dried the beetroot slices in the oven before blitzing (rather than the complicated and not home cook friendly version in the recipe).  I'm against the sous vide technique for tender cuts of prime protein.  I think it washes out the taste and texture so I would always pan cook to rare in preference.


Textures of beetroot with duck breast

No comments:

Post a Comment