Tuesday 3 September 2013

Last night, entree of just cooked sea bass on shrimp saffron consume, main of modern Indian: sea bass with fennel tomato sauce from Indego by Vineet Bhatia

I decided to get skin off sea bass simply because it was crazy cheap and fresh today already filleted in Geant.  I would never usually forego the delicious skin on bream or bass.

I trimmed up the fillets to make enough for entree to serve with a shirmp consume I wanted to play around with (trying a consume made with nothing but dried shrimp and infused saffron).  It was pretty good actually.  I'd make a couple of adjustments making it again, add a bit of ouzo or pastis and white wine for sweetness and acidity to the shrimp before reducing but all in all pretty good for a basic cupboard standby.


Shrimp consume with sea bass and lambs lettuce

Main course, well this is one of my favourite dishes from my Rasoi cookbook (I have lots).  The fennel tomato sauce is beautifully balanced with depth and toasted spice.  I've served this as per the book numerous times and it's gorgeous.  I've started playing around with different textures and because I had skin off fish to deal with decided to use a urad dahl crust to give a crunch.  It's simply dried out curry leaf, toasted urad (white) dahl, toasted fennel seed and pepper corns crushed and then patted on the fish before cooking.  The idea comes from Vivik Singh from The Cinnamon Club.

I paired it with a saffron upma because I love the taste of saffron and tomato.  Upma is an indian semolina accompaniment.   Some oven dried baby vegetables gives another texture and mint/coriander chutney a fresh acidity.

Delicious.


Sea bream with urad dahl crust served with tomato fennel sauce, saffron upma, mint coriander chutney. oven dried courgettes & turnips.

No comments:

Post a Comment