Thursday 26 September 2013

Quail twice cooked Middle Eastern style

Ok so yes this is another quail dish - I'm on a role here so am experimenting different techniques with this delicately sweet bird.  I have taken a leaf out of my Greg Malouf cookbook and substituted quail for pigeon but added my own twists here and there.  I served it with a Malouf salad of carrot with an interesting dressing - olive oil, lemon juice, honey, orange blossom water, paprika, cumin, garlic, salt.  The quail itself was poached (for 6 minutes) in a  masterstock of onion, garlic, water, ground and whole cinnamon, cardamon, honey, chili all of which had been cooked and reduced before the quail was added (halved).

After a 6 minute poach it dried out in the fridge for the day, then was fried (in a non stick pan using not much oil), liberally sprinkled with a salt of roasted and ground fennel and coriander seeds and served with this carrot salad to which I also added thin slices of raw beetroot for earthiness and sweetness.

The masterstock itself was gorgeous so I reduced some and seasoned it up at the end serving it with this dish.  I would make this again.  Next time I would do a more simple accompaniment as I found the dressing in the salad tended to overpower the beautiful flavours in the quail and stock sauce.  I would next time cook Israeli couscous in some of the masterstock and serve again with reduced stock sauce.

The quail was utterly finger licking and this is a fabulous way of bring out the natural sweetness of these little birds.

Twice cooked quail, masterstock sauce, fennel coriander seed salt and beetroot carrot salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment