Friday 6 September 2013

Pork belly on fennel puree with licorice paper

I was just fiddling around when I did this recipe....

I saw some pork belly that looked pretty good, not too fatty so decided to make something up.

I popped it in the oven for 3 hours at about 140deg in a mixture of soy, white wine, miring, chilli, juniper berries, star anise and anise seed.  it was sitting flesh side down, skin side up in this braising liquid, covered.

After 3 hours I took the pork out of the liquid and put it in a dish with some foil on top and a weight so that it compressed and popped it in the fridge for a couple of hours (I was serving it that night, if I had longer it could have sat compressed for a day or two).

I strained the braising liquid and cooked it down to a sauce consistency.  I scored the skin of the pork and put it back in the oven skin side up to get sticky and chewy.  We are odd people in this household, we are not big fans of "crackling" and prefer a chewy crisp rather than explosions of what taste to us like hot burnt fat with crackling.

So I had some fennel puree I was serving with duck with fennel (next post) and put a touch of fennel puree on the plate, topped it with a piece of fennel braised in ouzo, pork belly on top, sauce around and a few dots of leek ash I had left over from my leek ash sea bream dish and some licorice paper I had for my duck with fennel (next post).

Utterly utterly delicious and we simply could not fault it.  I'll be doing it again.

Yes I'm in a fennel / anise phase that has lasted for a while!


Braised pork belly on fennel puree, confit fennel, braising liquor topped with licorice paper with leek ash emulsion





No comments:

Post a Comment