Sunday 1 September 2013

Lobster Vineet Bhatia style

My latest favorite from my beautiful Rasoi: New Indian Kitchen cookbook by Vineet Bhatia is lobster like none other.  Sublime.  This guy is a true genius.  To be able to taste the subtle sweetness of the crustation through the two different marinades (one a tandoori tomato style marinade and one a spicy vinegar marinade) served with a lemongrass chill coconut milk panacotta.....  inspriring and delicious.

I did have to search for the coconut vinegar...even here in Dubai where I'm blessed with the most amazing selection of Indian ingredients and I found it in the Filipino section of the supermarket (easy to find once I knew!) ... having tasted the vinegar you could substitute any soft vinegar (i.e. not malt or harsh white vinegar).

I'm not going to type out the recipe.  If you like modern Indian then get the book, it's a keeper.  This recipe is on page 92.  I used lobster tail not the claw as in the book because this is what I could get (Omani lobster are gorgeous).  Having made this dish twice now I can say with conviction it is sublime and could easily work with fresh tiger prawns.  Just be sure to cook the shellfish a little underdone so that when you reheat after marinading it's not taken over that beautiful point of perfection.

Small note: if you heat plates like I do your panna cotta might melt slightly but this (in my opinion) is good as it adds a sauce and does not detract.  The panna cotta should be only just set so it still has a lovely soft wobble.

Lobster recharde, chilli and coconut panna cotta, tandoori lobster in a spicy marinade, recipe from Rasoi by Vineet Bhatia.



No comments:

Post a Comment