Wednesday 11 September 2013

Leek ash, bonito flake and toasted nori emulsion.....

Yeap sounds a little strange but trust me on this one.

The leek ash is simply done by grilling the dark green part of leek under a hot grill until it's black (it only takes a couple of minutes, wash and dry the leek first).   Then pound or blitz with enough olive oil to make an emulsion and a touch of salt.

Get about half a nori sheet per couple of teaspoons of leek ash emulsion.  Toast by popping it on an element or heat source for a couple of minutes until it's crisp not burnt like the leek, just until it can be powdered.  Add this along with about 3 teaspoons of dried bonito flakes, so about 3 pinches of bonito flakes to the leek ash and blitz together to form an emulsion, add a little more oil as required so that it makes a lively dark smooth puree.

This is stunning with seafood, in particular scallops.  I substituted this emulsion for the leek ash emulsion and redid a dish I made recently, Sea Bass with Cauliflower Puree.   Once again with this recipe I substituted hazelnuts instead of almonds and Frangelico instead of Amaretto.  I used bonito flakes soaked in boiling water and strained for my fish stock.  Finally this time I used local Hamour fish instead of sea bream simply because it was beautifully fresh and I knew the sweetness would work well with the scallop.   The bonito nori leek ash is unbelievable with this dish.  A keeper.

Hamour, scallop, scallop roe, cauliflour puree, hazelnut cream and bonito nori leek ash

No comments:

Post a Comment