Saturday 7 September 2013

An oldie but a goodie, filo, home hot smoked salmon, caviar.

The filo pastry here is good.  Very good.  I know it's all sounding a bit 80s but here it's a staple for the plethora of sweet beauties that you see in abundance.

I loved home smoking my salmon for this dish.  It's so easy, a little tea, a little brown sugar, a little rice on some foil in the bottom of a wok, a bamboo steamer firmly over the top, a little baking paper to sit the salmon on, pop it in skin side down, turn up the heat and smoke for about 10 minutes.  You get to decide the doneness (I find hot smoked salmon from shops well overdone for my taste).  And I cure it first in some sugar, pastis and a little salt.  Gives a beautiful sweet flavour.

So just a little filo tart shell,  a touch of labnah at the bottom (or strained yoghurt), the salmon, a bit of fish roe or caviar, top it with the crisp skin of the salmon (easy in a pan with a pan on top)....a little sweet pea puree and viola.....


Filo, home smoked salmon, sweet pea puree, salmon skin and caviar

No comments:

Post a Comment