Saturday 7 September 2013

Egg yolk raviolo, iberico bellota, duck consume


In my opinion this starter is perfection.  I made it as I wanted souffle for dessert and it was a light souffle with no creme patisserie in the mix, just egg white and passionfruit.  Sorry I'm digressing again.  Anyway back to that raviolo ..the runny yolk  paired with the sweet nuttiness of the iberico bellota ham (from Extremadura which has the most glassy nutty sweet iberico I've tasted) with a beautiful subtle duck consume.  Utter perfection.  Light with saucy goodness of runny yolk with consume and that ham....well lets just say these ingredients are happy partners on a plate and my tummy is happy on consumption!   The photo doesn't show it but this pasta was as thin as almost translucent which for best results it should be.  Use a small dish to sit the pasta sheet on that will hold the yolk in place, put the yolk in a separate small dish or cup so it won't catch on the side of the shell when tipping on to the pasta base, dab sides with water, top with top pasta sheet (down to second from last or last (ie thinnest setting on you pasta roller).  Handle carefully.  Press out the air and put on to a floured sheet of parchment and into the fridge.  Cook from cold.  A minute or 2 in salted boiling water and you'll get runny yolk every time with perfectly cooked pasta.  I read a Giorgeo Locatelli recipe for potato puree, egg yolk and shaved fresh truffle ravioli served with beurre noisette.  Next time I get my hands on truffle I'll do that because to me that is food HEAVEN!!




Egg yolk raviolo, duck consume, iberico bellota ham.  An exercise in simplicity resulting in a happy tummy and heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment