Saturday 30 December 2017

Wild Roe Deer - Tandoori style

I mentioned before, they hunt around these parts.  A lot.  So much so in fact that it's wise to wear a bright top when running!  

They hunt for pig and deer.  They the pig are large and black, deer are tiny and brown and as cute as little cuties.  These little deer dart about like gorgeous wee gazelles.  Did I mention the word cute?  Seriously.  So cute.  Would I hunt one? Personally no.  But when our neighbour ambles over with some of the recent catch care of the Mairie then who are we not to do it justice?  It would be wrong on all sorts of levels not to eat something so lovely that had given it's life.  

We were presented with a whole hind leg and some chops.

The chops, not sure what I'll do with them yet (if I were butchering myself I'd have either left them on the rack or taken the loin but this was butchered for me so I have no choice).  The leg.  What a beauty.  Small enough not to be overwhelming for 2 people.  Only 700gms in fact including bone.  So I decided what a good ex Dubai-ite would do - make tandoori roe deer.


Hind leg of roe deer from the woods near our house

With home made tandoori marinate, ready for the (very hot) oven

Andy's hand made roti

Just out of the oven, resting (the place smelling AMAZING)


About to dig in, with mint raita, spiced apricot chutney and a tomato salad

Yum!!!!

Enough said......

No comments:

Post a Comment