Wednesday 27 December 2017

Pork Belly, cured, smoked, braised then pressed overnight

Served with dashi.  One of my favourite ways to serve pork belly.  Light and elegant.  I cooked a little black rice adding the chopped kombu from the dashi sauce.  Scorched green beans added at the end.

I had braised and pressed the belly the night before.  Pressing it (my simple way, wrap whilst hot in clingfilm, put the skin side on a flat plate.  No need for the drama of weights in the fridge!  If necessary just wrap another tight wrap of clingfilm around the plate and pork.

The dashi is so easy (Kombu, bonito, balanced with a little good quality soy).  I like using black rice as a supporter to this dish because I can mix in the finely chopped (and would otherwise be discarded) Kombu.  Seasoned with quality soy.

As for the pork.  Once it's been pressed overnight in the fridge, chop it nicely.  Use any left overs for whatever.  Pizzas, calzones, pastas, sauces. I have left over bits wrapped and noted in my freezer.

Cook the pork belly skin side down, slowly.  OK, so I don't like "crackling" I like crispy chewy mirror of fat that yields underweight to that lovely fatty soft balance between globule and sauce.  That's my preference.  So I cook this low, once that glassy effect is there I'm happy.  I brown the sides and serve. BTW I pour the dashi at the table separately.  It is an elegant way to serve and gives the pork it's time to shine.







No comments:

Post a Comment