Tuesday 26 December 2017

Christmas day main - Indian with a big hit of France (duck, foie gras...)

As any of you would know reading this blog I love Indian.  The refined stuff cooked by those incredible chefs who have spent their lifetime mastering spice technique and applying them subtly using ingredients uncommon in India ie. prime cuts of proteins.  

This is dry aged Perigord duck breast, spiced foie gras, spiced apricot chutney, coconut and potato kidchi, steamed romanesco and the finish of a duck sauce.

The spicing was on point.  Bringing out the superb flavours of that rich gorgeous duck.   I had dry aged this in my fridge for a week, the flavours were incredible.  Cooking the duck in my usual way, cold pan, low heat, taking time to fully render all the fat leaving the thin crispy skin (pouring off the fat as I go).  I turn it over only to rest it.  This is the way I cook duck every time and for me it's perfection.  I don't use the oven.  I prefer to let the skin take as much time as possible as it (for me) gives the best result.

The apricot chutney is spicy, sweet, sour and paired with the duck an obvious partner.  Taken from My Rasoi cookbook by Vineet Bhatia.  I also used Mr. Bhatia's recipe for the spiced foie gras accompaniment.  We have NEVER had foie gras like that before.  It's certainly best paired with subtle indian spices and then quickly pan seared to render the outside crispy and the inside melting.

The kidchi is a rice based dish, this one rich with coconut milk and subtly spiced.  The sauce at the end was a quick pan job with the residue from the meat juice, balanced with a touch of acidity.  Served with home made naan bread.

This was KNOCKOUT Christmas day yumminess.  We were going to go to town with truffle and had 150euros of the Perigords in season delivered but they were no good and we were so pissed off we decided to not serve any truffle on Christmas and instead focus on something completely different.

I will go so far as to say for me, this is my favourite Christmas dinner we have ever had.  Andy went so far (and he even says it now sober) that it is the best MEAL he's had!  

A Christmas to remember.  Leaving home when dark (8am but still....) to go skiing.  The morning skiing at gorgeous Gerardmer on treelined slopes when overlook the stunning lake at the base.  Then on return doing the finishing touches to our meal in our own home.  Unreal.






No comments:

Post a Comment