Wednesday 2 September 2020

My new lame

I make bread.  A lot. I haven’t bought bread for over 2 years.  I make sourdough, but the problem with pure wet sourdough is it’s a bit tricky to handle and to score before cooking. 

 

I have the handling sorted (sort of) but the scoring is another animal.  Andy bought me a lame which technically is good, but it’s not strong enough for the wet dough I use and just comes apart.  It would be OK for a yeasted bread which is dryer and easier to score, but not for proper sourdough wet types.  We didn’t know this until we tried.

 

I was watching a bread guy on youtube last night (for an hour).  He was awesome.  He was so matter of fact, talking through his daily bake in his bakery.  He uses a “monkey wire lame”.  

 

I showed Andy the monkey wire lame online.  We knew it wouldn’t work exactly for me because I cut my bread in a pot rather than on the flat so I need the handle for elevation.  This afternoon he grabbed one of the new razor blades we have for my bread, popped out to the old house for a bit and came back with the perfect lame tool for me.

 

I couldn’t have possibly bought it online.  

 

How awesome is he!  




 

No comments:

Post a Comment