Saturday 1 July 2023

When sourdough goes wrong...

It can go VERY wrong!  

I've been making sourdough for many many years.  My starter is now heading towards the 15 year mark.  Yesterday's loaf was quite special.  It weighs a ton.  It's as dense as my little kitty cat's head (sorry Nudge!).  It has no characteristic bouncy crumb or chewy crunchy bubbly crust.  It's sour, that's for sure and actually tastes pretty good toasted but.... oh my.  I'm glad we didn't have guests!  And really I'm not quite sure what went wrong other than it was a particularly wet dough and I wasn't able to fully shape it to give it strength.  I guess that's the reason but to go this wrong?  Quite funny.  I can imagine why people get put of making sourdough if they get this result every time!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment