Sunday 29 December 2013

Lamb backstrap, lamb jus, black olive oil, oven dried black olives, courgettes and squash

This recipe was taken from my Daniel Boulud cookbook "Daniel".

I used lamb backstrap instead of rack as I prefer the cut here in Dubai.  Lamb rack is super expensive and hard to get trimmed.  I salted the lamb and left it uncovered in the fridge overnight.  The result on cooking it was a really lovely crusty caramelised exterior while a perfectly rare - medium rare internal.

The prize for me from this dish and one that I will take and repeat, adding it to other dishes is the oven dried black olives.  Semi dried Greek or Moroccan olives are required, destone them and put them in a very low oven (90deg C or so) for about 5 hours.  The result is delicious.  Crunchy and almost caramel in flavour along with the salt of the olive.  Daniel's recipe is to use these for the black olive oil.  I used half for the oil (simply blitzed with olive oil) and half I kept as crunchy garnish.  Absolutely gorgeous things.


No comments:

Post a Comment