Saturday 28 December 2013

A different take on a thai beef salad

Hmmm, this is an unusual one for me but one I'd recreate in a flash.  I marinated some beautiful eye fillet in a thai roasted chilli paste (bought, the lovely dark sticky sweet one you get in a jar).

The beef was tied tight in plastic wrap with the paste in the fridge for a couple of days to keep it shaped and firmly marinating, brought out of the fridge to get to room temp before cooking.  I dusted the fillets with rice flour, brought some oil to medium temp and properly shallow fried (i.e. oil half way up the sides of the fillets, turning several times to achieve a golden crust).  I cooked them to rare, rested for a good 10 mins in a low oven on absorbent paper and served with a spicy thai apple salad that I love which has an addition of fresh green peppercorns.

A crunchy pungent delight and if you are like me and find thai beef salads a bit of a waste of good beef try this style of cooking the whole piece.  You'll be rewarded!


No comments:

Post a Comment