Friday 28 August 2020

My birthday

I have to make a note to self with this birthday.  

 

My mum and dad delivered to me Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking". Volume one and Volume two.

 

They are hefty beasts and they have proper paper.  Even the paper smells like paper.  

 

I did all my favourite things this 52 bday.  I decided it was my luxury day.  Andy was so into it!!

 

Day off exercise and gardening (it rained which was a helper).  My favourite space is here, on our wee island in a wee village.

 

So, I skipped my run. Showered (of course) and popped on my silk jammies which mum and dad sent to me.  I also popped in my pearl earrings I’d kept for a while in a ziplock bag in my case because they almost came off once.

 

We were all prepped, we heated up our pastries for brekkie (cooked with burre noisette)….We made apple strudel from scratch for lunch ( freaking amazing).  

 

Then for dinner…. We made osso buco 2 days ago so it could sit in its juices in the fridge.  We made a fennel and potato dauphinoise on the day.  With cheese and butter.  Bizarrely the fennel was so beautifully balanced it tasted like we had popped a hint of nutmeg in there, no fennel.  Sublime.

 

Honestly, this whole dinner was amazing and my day was PERFECT.  I sat around in my silk pjs, read my Julia Child’s cook books, we did a bit of baking, we both watched “The Holiday” yet again and were happy campers.  We don’t change much from kids to adults.  This would have been a pretty dreamy day if I was 10 (different location etc but….)

 














 

No comments:

Post a Comment