Thursday 6 August 2020

Israeli Kubaneh

I was watching cooking shows (as I do) and saw a programme on Jerusalem.  OMG, the food was amazing.  I was particularly taken by Israeli Kubaneh, a sort of a cross between a bread and croissant but using dark brown caramelised butter.  I was utterly transfixed and had to make this amazing bread.

 

So, I found a recipe.  Cooked my awesome French high fat salted butter nice and properly brown. Did the mandatory taste test (it’s a tough job) and tasted like salted caramelised deliciousness (yum!!!).   Knowing bread making techniques as I make it every few days anyway and I make the tricky sourdough stuff I went out of the recipe box and proved it overnight for extra flavour in the fridge.  

 

I followed the next recipe steps the next day but knowing how to use wet dough (which it was) I didn’t flour the surfaces.  I divided it, stretched it, folded it buttered it (and then some more, no kidding) then shaped, buttered, popped it in the tin, buttered again (and then more when cooking).

 

They are amazing.  Like beautiful caramelised croissant wee breads.  I had to shove the whole lot (after a wee tasting session) into the freezer so that I didn’t gob them all off.

 

I will reheat them creating crispy bottoms of that caramelised butter freshly for a wee breakfast treat.  We like our breakfast treats because we eat breakfast so late is usually leads into lunch an hour or two later so we can enjoy a little treat.  

 

Next time…..

 

So, I read more on this incredible traditional recipe.  It says stretch the dough like Andy does when he makes apple strudel, so it’s paper thin.  Then butter it, roll it, cut it, butter it.  And (here’s the key I think) cook it overnight in a 50 degree oven (10 hours) in a covered pot. I’m absolutely fascinated by this bread.  I have limited freezer space but I’ll be surprised if I hold off trying this technique for too long.  Fascinates me like crazy dough.  


Traditionally eaten with a spicy condiment for breakfast (ummm yummmm).  Sort of reminds me of roti canai in Indonesia, the delicious buttery dough served with a wee spicy loose dahl.  But mostly here, it reminds me if croissant.  Whichever way, these are unreal.  


Before going into the oven

Out of the oven
                              They are brushed (once again) with browned butter (yummmm)

No comments:

Post a Comment