Wednesday 20 August 2014

Lamb loin, lamb and rosemary jus, parsley rosemary anchovy stuffing

I bought the most beautiful looking bone on loin of lamb from the Butcher Shop and Grill here.  I don't know why the whole loin isn't more readily available........it's usually chopped with the fat cap and bone on into short rib pieces.  I've never cooked loin butchered this way as I simply have no idea what I'd do with it.

The whole piece, on the other hand, is a different story.  I cut away most of the fat leaving around 3mm which I scored.  I took the bone off (and hacked it into pieces for the stock).

A stuffing was made simply of anchovy fillets, garlic, parsley and rosemary all blended together.  I then tied up the loin into a (if I might say) very pretty log.

The bones were browned really well, leek and tomato added and caramelised, deglazed with white wine, a further lamb sauce I had in the freezer was added for additional depth plus good chicken stock and fresh rosemary sprigs, all cooked together then strained twice to give a beautiful glossy, rich lamb jus.

I did a potato galette which isn't really my thing (when I make this again....and I will...I will replace the galette with maybe potato and leek dauphinoise or omit the potato altogether).  Lesson learnt, don't make things you don't really like that much!  Duh!!

The lamb was browned off and put in a 130deg C oven for 18 minutes and rested in foil.  Superbly cooked.  Served with slow roasted tomatoes, a little cauliflower garlic puree, parsley and that sublime sauce.......it was tender, fragrant, sweet and utterly UTTERLY scrummy.  A bit of an effort but worth every hour.





No comments:

Post a Comment