Sunday 13 September 2015

Beetroot cured salmon with the best of India

I do like curing salmon before cooking it.  The curing process firms the texture slightly extracting extra moisture and giving the salmon flesh a beautiful texture when just cooked.

I keep the cure off the skin so that the skin still crisps up beautifully when cooked rather than burn as the cure contains some sugar.  Beetroot cured salmon is so pretty in colour.  The taste of the beetroot doesn't come through, it's purely an aesthetic thing and worth it.

I served this with fennel tomato sauce from my Rasoi cookbook.  I paired it with pea.  Basically fennel seed, anise seed, cumin and fresh ginger cooked off together, peas added then roughly blended to create a rough puree (rather than a fine puree).  I then froze it and scraped it like granita.

This really came together rather well in my opinion.  The flavours were spot on, the textures and contrasting temperatures created a unique mouth feel and one that was incredible.  More than the sum of it's parts.



No comments:

Post a Comment