Tuesday 22 September 2015

Beef with 'Raji' sauce

A while ago I discovered a ready made Indian line of spice pastes which put all other spice pastes to shame.  Raji make incredible chutneys too (and I'm not talking about over sweetened mango jobs which taste like jam, their chutneys are fresh and absolutely zinging).

The spice paste though is the stuff of gods.  It is cooked at high heat to give off a seriously toasty flavour.  To do it at home would mean your kitchen would smell of said spices for well over a week.  They would be very very difficult to replicate and whilst I rarely buy ready made anything, Raji is my exception.

The variations I buy are rogan josh paste, chicken tikka paste and chicken tikka masala paste.  I put some of the richly coloured paste in a pot, add a little sherry vinegar, salt sugar and water and mix up a sauce that is beyond words in depth of beautifully balanced indian spice flavour.  Each one I've tried are delicious and I vary depending on mood but basically each paste works with any protein.

This dish was therefore simple as anything.  Some 'Raji' sauce (this time the rogan josh version) served simply with fennel and star anise crusted beef fillet (cooked rare), green beans and beetroot.  Yum.
Job done.


No comments:

Post a Comment