Monday 21 March 2022

Butternut squash risotto revisited....

I had the left over rabbit bones from last night.  Stock sorted (roasted off in the oven and then reduced with water).

I roasted butternut squash pieces, skin on in olive oil and salt.

I cooked onion, added arborio rice, added white wine, reduced. Then added the stock and pureed butternut squash (the bits with no skin). All sorted on the risotto side (with parmesan to finish and make it all creamy).  Risotto base sorted.

I crisped sage leaves from the garden brushed with a little oil, low heat in the oven.

Now.... we have the cheese.  I made a tuille of Cantal entre deux which is a gorgeous tangy unpasteurised cheese from the Haute Auvergne region.  It's traditional to make parmesan tuilles but any variety of semi hard cheese is perfect.  Then I caramelised lumps of bleu de gex Haut-Jura AOP which is a mild blue unpasteurised cheese from the Jura alps and it is amazing when caramelised.

I added crispy sage leaves and made a tiny beurre noisette and poured it over before adding all those crunchy cheese elements.

Ummmm..... this is risotto on steroids.   The only thing is, if I had some butternut squash seeds left to roast and sit on top, or maybe even roasted pine nuts for toastiness. That would have been delicious but gotta say, this was seriously OK.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment