Sunday 28 January 2018

Quail

The little quail here are always sold with their heads on.  It's so we can see what breed it is or some such.  Fine by me, I quite like taking off the heads.  I'm a bit weird that way but it's not so great in the summer having things like quail and chicken heads sitting in the rubbish waiting for collection!  Best popping them in the freezer for a few days during the hot months.

Anyway I served this particular quail with a very scrummy Jun Tanaka recipe I've made before.  Savoy cabbage pesto and creamed savoy cabbage.  I stuffed the quail with a mixture of onion, garlic, sage, cepes and prunes.  I browned them well and finished in the oven for about 18 minutes.  They were beautifully moist.  The stuffing protects the breast from overcooking while the legs do their thing.  

Savoy cabbage pesto might sound strange but it's really delicious.  By blanching the leaves first you keep the green and it's then simply blended with roasted walnuts and parmesan.  A touch of water to loosen it, a little garlic and salt.  Yum.  Sorry little quails but you do taste delicious.




No comments:

Post a Comment