Monday 1 January 2018

NYE Siggie Main

Indian spiced duck breast, coconut kdichi, spiced foie gras, sauce and spiced apricot chutney.

The second time we’ve had this scrumptious dish.  The first being Christmas.  Ummmm…. Yummmmm.

BUT this time I cooked the foie gras from frozen in the hot pan, thinking it’d give it more time before it melted.  Nah, better to cook it from the fridge so that it goes super uncious.  I dusted with spice after cooking this time which was better though but I missed out the Kashmiri chilli and fleur de sel which I forgot about (not in the Vineet Bhatia recipe but added last time).  So I added it at the table.  Essential 2 ingredients.  Kashmiri chilli gives such a lovely warm fruity kick.  It’s a gorgeous chilli especially it seems, from the supplier I’ve found here in France.

AND finally, last time Andy did the sauce.  It was better.  It had all sorts - from the duck pan juices and the foie gras pan scrapings to port to sherry vinegar to pernod.  Difficult for him to repeat but next time we do this dish I’ll get him to try.  I used an indian reduction I’d made previously which was very good, but not as good.  Served with a 2008 Margaux.  From our cave.  As you do.


Damn fine New Years Eve main course.






No comments:

Post a Comment