Friday 5 August 2016

Chicken Sicilian style with white bean puree

OK so I'm just making a note of this because I don't have a recipe to refer back to and need to get it noted before I forget how I made it.

We had guests around.  I didn't take a photo of the dish of course.  That would be a bit naff with people over!  But I did take a photo of our lovely friend enjoying every little scrap.

I've done sweet sour Italian style chicken before many many (many) years ago.  This version was the best ever.  It was an absolute knockout flavour wise so here goes:

For 4 people.

Chicken:

Around 10 skinned and boned chicken thigh filets
1 large onion finely chopped
The heart and a couple of stalks of celery finely chopped
around 50mls sherry vinegar
about 1desertspoon sugar
a few sage leaves finely chopped
1 cinnamon quill
some olive oil
a couple of tablespoons of currents
chopped almonds (about 2 tablespoons)
salt and pepper

White bean puree:

1 400gm tin white beans (I used butter beans) drained
Enough milk to make it smooth when pureeing
salt
1 clove garlic

Garnish:

Decent quality bread (I used my own sourdough) diced and toasted in a pan.  Add a good knob of butter and a clove or 2 of crushed garlic, continue to stir until absorbed and yum.  Finally mix in some finely chopped parsley a decent amount of ground black pepper and the grated rind of one lemon.
About 1 tbsp pistachio nuts chopped
About 1tbsp almonds chopped
Parsley leaves
Shaved parmesan

Brown the chicken in a heavy bottomed pan and remove.  Deglaze with vinegar, add the sugar and onion and cook for a couple of minutes.  Add the rest of the ingredients then pop the chicken back in and either refrigerate at this point until ready to cook (takes about 20 minutes from here) or continue. Cook it until done.  I added about 100mls of water and put the lid on until the chicken was just cooked then popped it in the oven to keep warm until I was ready lid off so the liquid turns into a lovely thick sauce.

Blitz the beans with the garlic, a little salt and milk.

To serve:
Heat plates, remove the cinnamon quill, heat the puree, pop the puree on the plate with chicken and juice etc then top with the garnish.  Yum.

Nobody reads this blog, it is for my reference only so I can post the picture below.  Our friends rather enjoyed this dish!!





No comments:

Post a Comment