Friday 8 July 2016

Rump of beef wrapped in jambon de Bayonne, grilled leeks, sauce, toasted chestnuts, broad beans and baked beetroot

The beef rump is South African.  Very very very delicious and very very very good value.  NZ needs to sell rump steak in a single cut like this.  It's so versatile and replaces expensive fillet beautifully.  In fact if anything I think rump is better than fillet, it's just so damn tasty.  And my favourite from my childhood so the taste brings back nice memories for me.

I cooked this wrapped in tinfoil for 60 mins at 90 degrees.  Unwrapped the foil and let it rest.  It was perfectly cooked for most.  For us just a tiny tiny bit over.  I'd say more medium to medium rare than our preference of rare to medium rare.  I'm going to try this again, next time 60 minutes at 60 degrees.  For us I think that'll be absolutely perfect.

Not to say this wasn't damn good, it was superb.  And at 1/4 of the price of eye fillet????  Unreal.



No comments:

Post a Comment