Wednesday 9 July 2014

Pumpkin tortellini, beurre noisette with sage, cauliflower puree, roasted pumpkin seeds...

I had never made tortellini before but having tried them now I will make them again.  They are more robust to handle than ravioli and therefore easier to cook and plate.  You need to work with thin pasta otherwise the result will be too heavy.  I took it to number 6 on my kitchen aid.

Keep the filling amount small otherwise they will be impossible to seal.  Half a teaspoon for the size I was making was plenty.  I cut rounds (you can do squares too).  Put the filling on one half and use a little water to seal them well.

Yummy.  Seriously.  I mean you can't really go wrong can you?  Beurre noisette is just so utterly delicious.  The addition of cauliflower and scattering of parmesan gave this dish almost a cauliflower cheesy taste but with the sweetness of the tortellini and the great crunch of the pumpkin seeds.  This was a knockout.  Note to myself - I cooked the sliced cauliflower and used the same pan to make the beurre noisette.  Once the butter was completely browned and nutty added the sage, poured it into a dish and then deglazed with a little white wine and added that to the butter rather than lemon juice stated in most recipes.  The wine gives enough acidity without too much in my opinion.

Baby carrots and leeks along with cauliflower slices were my garnish and on tasting the dish the leeks in particular are essential to give that sweet soft onion flavour.  As I said, YUM.




No comments:

Post a Comment