Friday 13 June 2014

Octopus cooked in red wine

We tried this version of octopus at Lokanta Maya a superb restaurant in Istanbul.  I asked the chef how she'd prepared the octopus, I couldn't work it out.  Red wine was her secret and slow cooked until meltingly tender, giving it a high heat sear at the end to caramelise.  Yum.  Easy too.

I served it with a simple parsley, mint, tomato  salad dressed with pomegranate molasses, olive oil and lemon juice and sumac.  Mint and parsley together are old hat but for some reason I'd never fully explored them solely as a salad green.  They make the most beautiful salad to go with anything.  Somehow together they balance each other's flavours to produce a new taste which is more subtle than their individual components.

I kept the red wine the octopus was cooked in just to experiment and the next post is the result...


No comments:

Post a Comment