Friday 27 June 2014

My apple tart

I love sweet short pastry and I blame my nana for my lifetime addiction.  She was the producer of the most sublime apple shortcake.  I will never forget nana’s apple shortcake!

I therefore have continued my love of apple desserts and I love playing around with different ways of making them.  

This is a really simple tart.  A classic sweet short pastry (butter (lots), egg yolk, flour, sugar, lime or lemon zest).  Chilled, rolled into rounds, chilled, pricked, baked until crisp.  I made some decorations, coated with sugar and baked them off at the same time.

I sliced the apples and fanned them out and baked them separately until cooked and slightly browned (in my opinion no need to peel). 

When the pastry was cooked and the apples were cooked I spread the pastry with some warmed cherry jam (because it’s what I had) and slid the apple on top.  I then topped them with the decorations of pastry and viola! 


A beautifully crisp, perfectly cooked apple tart with all the deliciousness of nanas apple shortcake done in a slightly different way.

Really REALLY good served with whipped cream that has freeze dried raspberries mixed through it or passionfruit ice-cream or even simple strained yoghurt with lime zest.



No comments:

Post a Comment