Wednesday 7 May 2014

Confit duck leg, glazed cherries, shaved fennel salad, parsnip and saffron puree, parsnip crisps, roasted leek.

Yes I got this beautiful Josh Emmet cookbook from my bro and sis in law and absolutely love it.  And yes Andy's been doing a spot of cooking of late.  I choose recipes for him that I want to eat and that I know he'd enjoy cooking... this is one of them.

I had the duck already confit (and I admit I bought this lot although I have done a fair whack of confit duck amongst others and it's easy but you need to keep a keen eye on salt, home confit can be over salted with the wrong instructions).  Here Geant sells the most gorgeous confit duck at a great price which makes it hardly worth doing it myself in honesty.

OK so I thought Andy would enjoy cooking this dish.  He read the recipe and decided a parsnip saffron puree (from a veal recipe in the same book) would work with this along with the crisp cooked parsnips from the same dish.

Yes I've said before he's a bloody good cook and cooks so rarely it's even more impressive.  His palate is on the money.  Seriously.  The combination of parsnip and saffron puree (or mash or whatever you like to name it) with confit duck, cherries with pomegranate molasses (care of Josh Emmet) and fennel salad which Andy added a touch of pernod to at the end (divine)... and well roasted leek stems.

Really I say this with the wisdom of someone who's eaten a few meals (or more) with a keen eye on classic French.  This was one of the most glorious dishes I've eaten ever.  The cherries with pomegranate molasses is a dish that will stay with me now thanks to Mr Emmet.  The combination of the parsnip and saffron along with the cherries, duck and fennel with pernod is one that will stay with me thanks to Andy.

Cut cookbook is a seriously practical take on elegance and simplicity using beautiful proteins.  My husband has a palate that can see and combine with intelligence that is startling at times.  Together an amazing combination.





Confit duck leg, roasted leek, fennel salad, cherries with pomegranate molasses and parsnip with saffron, utter heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment