Friday 23 February 2018

Perigord duck breast, with the suave of an Indian cloak

I have made many Indian panna cotta now.  A lot.  A lot a lot.  I’ve started to experiment with proteins and duck is my favourite here in France.  (On special, Perigord duck breasts are CHEAP.  Far better value than say rabbit which is an expensive protein here.  Go figure.).  


Coconut panna cotta spiced with kaffir lime leaf and lemon grass. 

Purple potato khichdi (spiced rice with potato, an exacting recipe, worth the effort).
Rhubarb chutney (a quick knock up, I use rhubarb compote from the supermarket, add toasted ground cardamom, lemon salt (citric acid), salt and toasted ground star anise.))

Cabbage foogath (which is one of my favourite ways to eat cabbage).

Duck breast, spiced with a little cardamom and star anise.

In Dubai I'd always make this dish with sweet fish.  Here, duck is the best protein (along with quail and chicken and rabbit if it's on special, shoulder for me though is best for rabbit) and highly versatile, it's sweet.  Sweet proteins are no brainers when cooking subtle Indian dishes.  

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmm  BTW the panna cotta melts on the plate when you eat it.  The rhubarb chutney is on the side, not shown but brings the whole dish together.  






No comments:

Post a Comment