Sunday 27 April 2014

Daniel Boulud's Fish in a Coriander Tapioca Pistou with Lemon Crouquettes

I have this rather impressive book (courtesy of Andy) showcasing the best of Daniel Boulud, a highly regarded NY based French chef.

I've done a few things, they are complex to say the least but worth the effort.  This dish was based on Striped Bass.  It's not a fish I can get here although the UAE waters seem to deliver the most exquisite of fish.... but nope striped bass isn't one of them.

My favourite fish of the moment here is red mullet or Sultan Ibrahim as it's locally known.  A firm favourite of mine when I'm travelling to Europe but very very expensive and I had no idea it was in these waters until very recently.  A gorgeous fish.  It's cheap here and seriously tastes like a prawn, scallop lobster fish combination (therefore a sweet fish crustation combination).  I fillet them myself as they require a careful hand with tweezers to get all those fine pin bones.

OK so getting to the point here, I substituted the striped bass for red mullet in Boulud's recipe and honestly I didn't even go near the artichoke part.....more hassle than taste in my opinion.

Very interesting dish.  The texture of the tapioca, the lemony mustardy yumminess enhanced the shellfish flavours of the fish and the croquettes (which are not as simple to do as Daniel makes out, they do disintegrate on recooking so it's necessary to just stick with it and not worry about a precise cube outcome as per the picture in his book) are utterly glorious and a risotto recipe in it's own right worth doing again.

Viola!  Only took a few hours but it really was a serious dish. Only for those with time on their hands that day though!!



No comments:

Post a Comment