Tuesday 29 April 2014

Andy's pasta with seafood and saffron

Well I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Andy rarely cooks.  Very rarely indeed because it's my hobby and my kitchen!  But when he does it's utterly staggering how things just come together in taste and seasoning, balance and technique using no recipe.

This dish is a fine example.  We bought a selection of the freshest local seafood.  Omani prawns, UAE clams, UAE squid.

The sauce was knocked up with a prawn head stock, saffron and white wine, fennel and a dash of pernod then reduced.  The squid only need a tiny kiss of heat, the prawns were sweet perfection and the clams here are the most superb and in fact the closest is the Spanish bivalve jobs that are horrendously expensive but as exquisitely sweet an succulent.

This was a serious pasta dish.  The finishing touch?  A spoon or two of uncooked pernod over the top.

Wholy moly the best seafood pasta dish I've ever had the joy of eating anywhere and I've had a few around and about.  He fascinates me!  How can he come up with something so superb and technical perfection when he really never cooks.  The pasta melted, very finely rolled and in and out of the boiling water as thin fresh pasta should be cooked.

A serious dish.  Yum!!!!

Andy's seafood pasta stunner.

No comments:

Post a Comment