Saturday 16 November 2013

Greg Malouf

I bought the Greg Malouf "New Middle Eastern Food" about a year ago.  The recipes drawing from a far, drawing from differences in both culture and religion.  The recipes here exemplify a correct use of spice showcasing the ingredient yet the spice element being usually rather subtle.  (I've never met the guy or been to his restaurants but in my 30s I was was fascinated with MOMO, Malouf's restaurant  in Melbourne).  We lived in Hong Kong at the time.  These sorts of ingredients are some of the few that are difficult to source in HK so I couldn't even practice at home.

Having lived in Dubai now for a number of years I have developed a very keen interest in Middle Eastern cooking.  The diversity of this  cuisine is  mind-blowing.  I've used Malouf's recies many times as I have the ingredients on hand .  Malouf has a clean simplicity to his food that appeals to people after a lightness in cooking and not wanting a huge plate of what has become a global normality - in countries that can afford the cost of course

I feel it's a real pity that by and large (at the more middle to bottom end of the market) food is losing its' historical genuine factor, having no representation of grass route beginnings ( across the board in all cultures).  Dubai is a good example.  The fast food chains are popping up faster than you can blink and the growth here is escalating by the day.  Alas it's not just the growth of the fast food market but also the waistlines and it's turning into a problem that will affect generations to come.

A push to go back to traditional ingredients and hey why not with a modern spin such as Malouf executes with such aplomb. It's a glorious cuisine and I'd love people here to get back into it.


No comments:

Post a Comment