Sunday 29 May 2016

Pork fillet with lardon of sorts

Lardon, pancetta, whatever you like to call it.  Pressed (and smoked occasionally) pork belly.  It's bacon but sold in the square form rather than the rasher slices I grew up with.  Well, give me a square of 'bacon' anytime. Dry cured please.

It's bizarely difficult to find a good quality slab of pork belly properly dry cured outside of Europe.  So I bring it back with me.  Always vac packed and there's no piggy smell going on.  I haven't had a problem with customs (to date).

There's nothing like beautiful pork fillet cooked medium rare.  I know that is rather unconventional for my home country however it's the way it comes in Spain and France.  And what a beautiful thing it is too.  Soft and sweet.  And exceptional value given quality of these prime cuts (and it's so blah...I'm not a free range type.  However when it comes to pork it has to be free range.  Like chicken,  those over fattened over hormoned massive pieces of whatever are utterly repulsive to me).

So I served a square of dry cured 'bacon' cooked again to get the skin crisp chewy, the pork fillet was perfection in protein, I made a little apple disk dusted in star anise and wrapped in brick pastry, with celeriac puree.   Very seriously delicious.



No comments:

Post a Comment